About Me

My photo
United Kingdom
Name: THE OLD BAILEY . Favorite quote: "Defend the Children of the Poor & Punish the Wrongdoer". Location: London. Hometown: LONDON Places lived: ALWAYS ON OLD BAILEY , LONDON. More about you: BUILT IN 1907 AND ADDED TO IN 1972 ON THE SITE OF NEWGATE PRISON. Occupation: A place of history and law. THIS WEBSITE HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE CITY OF LONDON OR THE MINISTRY OF JUSTICE.

Tuesday 23 November 2010

an interview with SALLY O'NEILL , QC.

SALLY O'NEILL , QC.

Linda Tsang

From Times Online

May 13, 2009

 

Lawyer of the week: Sally O’Neill, QC

The next chairman of the Criminal Bar ASsociation, Sally O’Neill at home near Ipswich, Suffolk
Sally O'Neill , the next chairman of the Criminal Bar Association
 
Sally O’Neill, QC, of Furnival Chambers, prosecuted the “stepfather” of Baby P, now revealed to be called Peter, who was found guilty of raping a two-year-old girl. The victim, now aged 4, was the youngest witness to give evidence at the Old Bailey.
What were the main challenges in this case and the possible implications?
Any case involving young or vulnerable witnesses needs to be kept under constant review and often involves relying on the opinions of experts as to whether it’s in their best interests to give evidence. If it isn’t, there won’t be a trial. The balance of enabling witnesses to give their evidence in the best way for them without compromising the fairness of the trial can be difficult to achieve. Their evidence has to be able to be tested by cross-examination, in a way that is appropriate to their age and understanding. This isn’t easy. All ideas as to how the process can be improved will no doubt be welcomed.
What was your worst day as a lawyer? 
Having had it drilled into me that punctuality is essential, on my second day — and this was in the days before mobile phones — I got on the wrong half of the train and ended up in deepest Kent about 15 miles away from where I should have been. A very expensive taxi ride later, I was still late and resigned to the fact that my career at the Bar had come to an abrupt end. I can only assume that my ashen-faced apologies to the bench enabled them to take pity on me.
What has been your most memorable experience as a lawyer?
Doing pupillage but with no real intention of practising at the Bar, I realised that I had become hooked on the Criminal Bar.
Who has been the most influential person in your life and why?
My mother. She had such unshakeable confidence in the abilities of her children that she was always delighted but unsurprised by the achievements of any of us.
Why did you become a lawyer?
There were more available places on law degree courses than any other.
What would your advice be to anyone wanting a career in law?
If you really want to do it, go for it.
If you had not become a lawyer, what would you have become?
I always fancied being a game warden in Kenya.
Where do you see yourself in ten years’ time?
If the politicians haven’t destroyed it by then, I would like to have the option of still being at the Criminal Bar. If they have, then gardening in Suffolk with my husband, David.

No comments:

Post a Comment